blogs created to prevent or detect a crime http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/ukpga_19970040_en_1

This blog is brougt to you consistent with subsection 3 of the Protection from Harassment Act - i.e. blogs created to prevent or detect a crime http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/ukpga_19970040_en_1



Monday 1 December 2008

Contributor to "Making a Killing" video claims he was duped by Scientology

Hooked: Ethics, Medicine, and Pharma: Public Announcement Regarding New Documentary Produced by Scientology-Related Group





Some time ago I was asked by a group doing a documentary about problems with psychiatric drugs to do a filmed interview about my research into the drug industry, as summarized in HOOKED.

I was assured at that time that this was an independent project, despite the fact that the documentary group had ties to the Church of Scientology.

I subsequently became better educated about the many underhanded and dishonest methods used by Scientology to attack the practice of psychiatry and the use of psychotropic medications. Readers of this blog will be aware that I have many issues with how psychiatry is often practiced today, but I cannot endorse across-the-board condemnations and certainly cannot endorse positions that are ideologically motivated and not well grounded in medical evidence.

I then contacted the producers of the documentary and asked that my segment be deleted and notified them that I was withdrawing my consent to participate. They refused to accommodate this request.

I am now advised that the documentary, Making a Killing, is being circulated, though I have not seen a copy of it and cannot judge whether any remarks I am quoted as making are accurate or not or are in context or not. The fact that I was included in the film after specifically objecting, and was given no opportunity to fact-check my segment, would seem to indicate that the tactics used by Scientologists in their anti-psychiatry campaign are indeed as dishonest and underhanded as their critics charge.

I regret very much allowing myself to have become involved in this project and would like it to be known that I disown and disapprove of the final product and the way that it has been disseminated.
Posted by Howard Brody at 1:16 PM
Labels: psychiatry; scientology

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.