blogs created to prevent or detect a crime http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/ukpga_19970040_en_1

This blog is brougt to you consistent with subsection 3 of the Protection from Harassment Act - i.e. blogs created to prevent or detect a crime http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/ukpga_19970040_en_1



Wednesday 17 December 2008

Was I now working for the Scientologists? - ponders David Healy

extract -

- I launched into the influence of the Scientologists on the whole Prozac controversy. If they hadn’t intervened US psychiatry wouldn’t have stood behind Lilly the way it had.

At this point Andy stopped me. Cindy, he said, was a Scientologist. More than one person in the Baum, Hedlund firm was. He wasn’t. Karen Barth wasn’t. Rhonda Hawkins wasn’t. But there was a Scientology connection. Bill Downey had been. I was stunned. It took time to come to grips with this. Was I now working for the Scientologists?



Cindy and Bill Downey had seemed very normal people to me. But then again I liked a lot of the people whom I knew from Lilly. I had great respect for Paul Leber, but who knew which side of the debate he was on? Could these Scientologists not be reasonable people, too? Cindy gave a story of being wild when younger. Of having had a life that was spiraling out of control from which she had been rescued by becoming a Scientologist. Her life had stabilized. She’d gone on to get married and have children. She was now working solidly. How could you complain about something that had done this for someone?



source - www.healyprozac.com/Book/Chapter5and7.doc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.