blogs created to prevent or detect a crime http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/ukpga_19970040_en_1

This blog is brougt to you consistent with subsection 3 of the Protection from Harassment Act - i.e. blogs created to prevent or detect a crime http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/ukpga_19970040_en_1



Thursday 28 October 2010

SSRI withdrawal protocols from APRIL - founded 1998 by Millie Kieve

In 1998, I founded the charity April (Adverse Psychiatric Reactions Information Link), which was also the month of Karen's birthday. I hoped that, by increasing awareness, perhaps the terrible waste of her life could save someone else's.




I now receive a constant flow of emails reporting the same kind of experiences as Karen's. People tell me how helpful they find it that someone understands. One woman who was very depressed, showed her doctor medical information that I had sent her. Only then did he agree to change the medication for her heart problems."I feel 600% better," she told me.



I send out withdrawal protocols to help doctors support their patients during withdrawal from SSRI antidepressants and benzodiazepines, as well as presenting workshops for health professionals to persuade them to report ADRs on Yellow Cards, the side-effect reporting system which, 40 years after its conception, is still not effective. I also contribute evidence to department of health and government inquiries and organise conferences. The next one, Adverse Psychiatric Reactions to Medicines and Anaesthetics, is on November 4.



April is now the main focus of my life and I campaign on all sorts of issues, from demanding that coroners record all drugs prescribed, stopped or doses changed, in the months prior to sudden death, to making sure that medical students understand about ADRs. I can never bring my lovely daughter back but it is a comfort to be able to help others. I believe awareness saves lives and have taken on the task of bringing that awareness to the medical profession and the public.



· www.april.org.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/aug/17/health.lifeandhealth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.